If you’re a fan of animal prints, you may have seen cheetah and leopard prints being used interchangeably. However, these two patterns are not the same. Both the cheetah and the leopard are majestic creatures with unique patterns on their fur. Their prints are iconic and have been replicated in fashion for decades. We are here to understand the main differences and see cheetah print vs leopard print outfit ideas and which print to choose.
Cheetah print is known for having a solid black spot in the center of each unique pattern. This print is also characterized by its small and densely packed spots, which are close to each other. In contrast, leopard print has a rosette pattern, which is larger and has a dark ring around it with irregular spots inside. The leopard’s spots are also more spaced out than the cheetah’s.
Both prints are versatile and can add a bold statement to your outfits. Knowing the differences between the two patterns can help you choose the right print for your style and make sure you’re not accidentally combining two very different patterns.
The Characteristics of Cheetah Print
When it comes to identifying cheetah print, there are some specific characteristics that set it apart from other prints. Here are some of the distinct features of cheetah print:
- 1. Shape:
Cheetah print typically consists of black or dark brown spots that are evenly spread throughout a tan or beige background. These spots are usually in the shape of small irregular circles that are not entirely filled in.
- 2. Background:
The background color of cheetah print is usually light in color and is tasked with contrasting with the black spots that define it.
- 3. Coloring:
The spots in cheetah print are black or dark brown with rounded, irregular shapes that give them a unique appearance unlike other animal prints.
Cheetah print is easily recognizable due to its specific characteristics, making it a popular choice for fashion. The distinctive black spots on a light background make this print a statement that is eye-catching and adds some personality to any outfit.
The Characteristics of Leopard Print
Leopard print is just as classic as cheetah print, but there are some key differences in the characteristics of the two prints. Here are the main features of leopard print:
- Background color: The background color of leopard print is typically golden or orange with black spots. However, there are also variations that might feature a white or beige background with black spots.
- Spot shape: Leopard spots are typically round or oval in shape and can vary in size throughout the print. They are often referred to as “rosettes” because of their circular shape.
- Spacing: The spots in leopard print are often spaced further apart than in cheetah print. This gives the print a slightly less busy appearance.
- Color: The black spots in leopard print are often outlined in brown, which creates a slightly softer look than cheetah print. This is because the fur of leopards has a slightly softer appearance than that of cheetahs.
Overall, leopard print has a slightly more subdued and sophisticated look than cheetah print. It’s a great option if you want to add some print to your wardrobe without being too bold.
How to Style Cheetah and Leopard Prints
Both cheetah and leopard prints can add a bold and exciting touch to your outfit when styled correctly. Here are some tips on how to make each print work:
Dress Up Cheetah Print
- Pair cheetah print with neutrals like black or white for a classic look.
- Consider opting for a cheetah-print dress or skirt for a chic feminine look.
- Choose an accessory in cheetah print, such as a scarf or purse, to add a touch of print to your outfit without going overboard.
Dress Up Leopard Print
- Wear leopard print with a pop of color for a fun and flirty look.
- Choose classic accessories, such as a leopard-print belt or shoes, to add a touch of print to your outfit without feeling overwhelmed.
- Leopard print blouses and dresses can be paired with bold jewelry and statement shoes for a glamorous look.
Remember, the key to wearing both cheetah and leopard prints is to keep the rest of your outfit simple and understated. Avoid combining too many prints or bold pieces, so that the focus stays on your cheetah or leopard piece.
Which Print to Choose for Your Next Outfit
Both cheetah and leopard prints are classic animal prints that can make you look bold and confident but choosing between them can be confusing. Here are some factors to consider when deciding which print to wear:
- Color: If you prefer neutral shades, leopard print might be the better choice for you. Cheetah print, on the other hand, often features more brown or yellow hues.
- Size: Leopard print tends to have larger, more rounded spots while cheetah print has smaller, more solid spots.
- Occasion: Consider the event you’ll be attending when choosing between the two prints. Cheetah print can be more casual, while leopard print can look more formal.
- Body Type: If you want to create an elongated appearance, leopard print may be the better option because of its larger spots. For a curvy body type, cheetah print can be more flattering due to the smaller spots.
Ultimately, the choice between cheetah and leopard print comes down to personal preference and what makes you feel confident and stylish. Don’t be afraid to experiment with both and see which one suits your personality and outfit best!
In conclusion, understanding the difference between cheetah and leopard prints is essential when choosing the right print for your outfit. While they may look similar at first glance, there are distinct differences between them in terms of appearance and pattern.
Both prints have their unique characteristics, making them versatile options for different occasions and styles. You can choose cheetah print for its softer, circular spots that offer a more feminine look. Meanwhile, leopard print features a more realistic, angular pattern that gives off a bold and powerful vibe.
When styling cheetah or leopard prints, opt for pairing them with neutral colours, such as beige, black, or white, to create balance and avoid overwhelming your outfit.
So, whether you prefer cheetah or leopard print, ensure to choose the perfect print that best suits your style and personality. Experiment with different accessories and clothing items to add a touch of flair and sophistication to your overall look.