It’s time to travel back in time to the disco era and embrace the funky and fabulous nail trends of the 70s. During that period, nail art began to emerge as a fun and creative way for women to express themselves through their manicures. 70’s nails was not only a form of self-expression but also a statement of political and social activism.
The feminist movement of the 70s empowered women to embrace their individuality and take control of their bodies. Nail art played a significant role in this movement by allowing women to take ownership of their manicures and challenge conventional beauty standards. In this sense, 70s nail art was a symbol of female empowerment and liberation.
Moreover, the 70s were a time of cultural revolution and self-expression. Disco music, psychedelic art, and bohemian fashion inspired new and exciting nail art designs that reflected the spirit of the era. From bold and bright hues to nature-inspired patterns, 70s nails were all about standing out from the crowd.
Nowadays, the 70s nail trend is making a comeback as more and more women embrace the vintage look and reimagine it in their own ways. By exploring the significance and history of 70s nail art, you can better appreciate the trend and find inspiration for your next manicure.
Relive the Disco Era with Bold and Bright Hues
If there’s one thing that defines the nail trends of the 70s, it would be their bold and bright colors. Disco fever swept the nation, and everyone wanted to sparkle, shine, and stand out. The good news is, you can achieve that same level of glam with a few key shades that scream “disco!” at the top of their lungs. Here are a few hues to try:
- Electric Blue: This vibrant shade was a staple of disco fashion, and it looks amazing on nails too. Whether you go for a solid coat or add some metallic accents, electric blue will make your nails pop.
- Bright Pink: Barbie vibes abound with a hot pink manicure. Whether you go for a glossy, jelly finish or a matte neon look, pink nails are a surefire way to channel the disco era.
- Chartreuse: This yellow-green shade is bold, bright, and totally groovy. It’s not for the faint of heart, but if you’re feeling daring, a chartreuse manicure will definitely turn heads.
Of course, there are many other colors to choose from as well, including vivid oranges, deep purples, and even neon green. The key is to choose a hue that makes you feel confident and ready to dance the night away.
Channel the Bohemian Spirit with Nature-Inspired Nail Designs
If you’re searching for a free-spirited nail style, nature-inspired designs are perfect for you! Unleash your inner flower child and express your love for nature with these groovy nail art ideas:
- Create cute daisy nails by applying a base coat, painting white circles at the tips of your nails, and adding yellow dots to the middle of each circle.
- Try a whimsical butterfly design by painting a dark blue base coat and drawing butterfly wings on your nails with a white nail art pen. Add some sparkle with a glittery topcoat for an extra touch of glamour.
- For a boho-chic look, paint your nails a soft pastel shade and use a thin brush to draw floral patterns on top with brown or black nail polish.
- To complement your earthy outfit, try creating an ombre effect on your nails with different shades of green, blue and purple. Add leaf shapes using a nail art brush and white nail polish to complete the natural look.
The bohemian style nails with nature-inspired nail designs was popular in the 70s, and recent years has seen this trend come back with a vengeance. These nails are the perfect finishing touch for a relaxed weekend getaway or a music festival.
By incorporating natural elements and incorporating them into your nail designs, you can channel the spirit of the 70s and create stunning and unique edgy nail art that is both fashionable and Bohemian at the same time.
Get Creative with Abstract Nail Patterns and Geometric Shapes
One of the defining features of 70s nail art is the use of bold and abstract designs that showcased the era’s edgy and experimental spirit. Hence, if you want to rock a 70s-inspired look, don’t shy away from bright colors, or complex shapes, and sharp lines. Here are some ways to incorporate abstract designs and geometric patterns into your nails:
- Color blocking: Color blocking was a prevalent trend in the 70s. It involved using two or three contrasting colors in blocks, stripes, or triangles on each nail.
- Polka dots: This classic pattern is still popular today, and it was also a staple in the 70s. Try using bright, contrasting colors to create a bold, playful look.
- Zigzag nails: Zigzags were a popular look in the 70s, and they are still trendy today. You can use black and white, or any bright colors to create a chic, geometric look.
- Abstract nail art: The 70s was all about self-expression, and abstract nail art perfectly captures that spirit. You can experiment with lines, shapes, and colors to create unique designs that stand out.
To achieve an abstract nail pattern or geometric shape, use stencils, tape, or a fine nail art brush to ensure your shapes are clean and precise. Alternatively, you can use nail stickers or decals for a quicker and more convenient approach. Be sure to let each layer dry before applying a new one, or you may end up smudging the pattern.
Finally, choose colors that are bright and bold, such as neon, coral, or electric blue. These will help you recreate the retro vibe and complement your groovy 70s outfit.
70s Nails: Groovy and Glamorous Nail Trends from the Disco Era
Incorporate Glitter, Metallics, and Rhinestones for a Glamorous Finish
If there’s one thing that the ’70s are known for, it’s glamour. And what better way to add some disco-era decadence to your nail art than by incorporating glitter, metallics, and rhinestones? These simple yet effective additions can transform a basic nail design into a stunning work of art that’s sure to turn heads.
When it comes to adding glitter to your nails, the options are endless. You can go for a full-on glitter nail, or add just a touch of sparkle to your existing nail design. For a truly groovy effect, try using glitter in bright, bold hues such as red, gold, or silver.
One fun way to incorporate glitter into your nail art is by creating an ombre effect. Start with a base coat in a solid color, and then gradually mix in glitter polish as you work your way up the nail. By the time you reach the tip, you’ll have a glittery gradient effect that’s truly eye-catching.
Like glitter, metallics are a great way to add some disco-inspired flair to your nails. Whether you opt for gold, silver, or bronze, metallic polishes offer a bold and dynamic effect that’s perfect for any ’70s-inspired look.
Metallic nail art can range from simple accents to full-on foil-effect designs. One easy way to incorporate metallics into your nails is by using them to create negative space designs. Try painting a metallic stripe down the center of each nail, or create a half-moon design using a shiny silver or gold polish.
For the ultimate in ’70s-inspired glamour, add some rhinestones to your nails. These tiny gems are perfect for adding some sparkle and shine to your nail art, and can be used in a variety of ways to create a truly unique look.
One popular option for using rhinestones in nail art is by creating a starburst effect. Simply apply a base coat of polish, and then use a dotting tool to add rhinestones in a star shape. You can also add rhinestones to the tips of your nails for a subtle yet striking effect, or use them to create an all-over glittering design.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect 70s Nail Look
If you want to achieve the perfect 70s nail look, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Embrace Bold and Bright Colors
One of the defining trends of the 70s was the use of bold and bright colors for nail art. Embrace this trend by painting your nails with vibrant hues like turquoise, hot pink, and electric blue. You can also go for the classic disco shades of gold, silver, and bronze for a glam look.
2. Experiment with Different Nail Shapes
The 70s was all about experimenting with different nail shapes, from long and pointed to short and squared. Try out different shapes until you find the one that suits you best. For a true retro look, try shaping your nails into the classic almond shape.
3. Add Some Glitter and Rhinestones
To take your 70s nails to the next level, add some glitter, metallics, or rhinestones to your design. These embellishments were frequently used in nail art during the disco era and can add a touch of glamour to your nails. Try using glitter nail polish or adding rhinestones to your nail tips for a chic and trendy look.
4. Go for Nature-Inspired Patterns
The 70s was also the era of the bohemian movement, and nature-inspired patterns like florals, paisleys, and geometric shapes were frequently used in fashion and art. Bring this trend to your nails by experimenting with these patterns in your nail art.
5. Practice Patience and Precision
70s nail art can be intricate and time-consuming. It requires patience, precision, and a steady hand. Take the time to craft each nail carefully and be patient with the process. You will be rewarded with stunning, retro-inspired nails.
It’s clear that the 70s are seeing a resurgence in popularity when it comes to fashion and beauty trends, and nails are no exception. Here are a few reasons why 70s nails are making a comeback:
- The disco era was a time of self-expression, individuality, and creativity, and these nail trends perfectly capture that spirit.
- People are looking for fun and unique ways to express themselves, and 70s nails provide a perfect canvas to do just that.
- Many of these trends are easy to recreate and can be done at home, making them accessible to anyone.
- The bold and bright colors of the 70s are a refreshing change from more muted and subdued tones often seen in modern nail trends.
If you’re thinking about joining the 70s nail trend, here are a few tips to get you started:
- Experiment with different colors and patterns to find what works best for you.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match different styles for a truly unique look.
- Try adding fun and playful accents, like glitter, metallics, or rhinestones.
- Take care of your nails by keeping them clean, hydrated, and healthy.
- And most importantly, have fun and express yourself!
Whether you’re looking to relive the glory days of disco or simply want to add a fun and playful touch to your beauty routine, 70s nails are a trend worth trying out. So grab your nail polish and unleash your inner disco diva – it’s time to boogie down with some groovy nail art!